PERFORMING ADB TASKS ON YOUR PHONE
If you want to perform adb tasks on your phone via command prompt or programs such as this ToolKit then the adbd binary supplied by your boot image needs to be patched to force ro.secure=0 [making your boot image insecure]. This can be provided in a modified Boot Image or by installing the adbd insecure app from Chainfire.
If you get a message on your PC saying ‘adbd cannot run as root in production builds’ when trying to perform a task on a Stock Rom then your boot image is not insecure.
FLASHING A ZIP FILE IN Custom RECOVERY
CWM/Philz_touch/TWRP can be used to flash anything made for your phone or even to perform certain tasks. Everything is packed in a zip file on your device or sdcard.
1. Make sure you have flashed Custom Recovery via Odin.
2. Download your Rom/Radio/Kernel/Mod and copy it to the root [not in a sub folder] of your internal storage or external sdcard.
3. Reboot your device to Recovery (Hold down the Home + Volume UP + Power Buttons for about 10-15 seconds until the samsung logo appears, then release straight away to boot to recovery). You can also reboot to Recovery Mode via the Reboot Options in the ToolKit.
4. Select ‘install’ or ‘install zip from sdcard’.
5. Select the file you want to flash.
6. Select ‘Yes’ to start the flash process.
FLASHING A TAR FILE IN ODIN
Odin can be used to flash image files or parts of your phone. You can flash something as simple as a boot image or a complete system. Everything is packed in a tar or tar.md5 file on your PC and flashed via Odin which is a Windows OS program.
1. Make sure you have your tar file stored on your PC.
2. Reboot your phone to Download Mode [shut down your phone, then hold down the Home + Volume DOWN Buttons and press the Power Button for about 2 seconds until a Warning screen appears. Press Volume UP to continue to Download Mode. You can also reboot to Download Mode via the Reboot Phone Options in the ToolKit.
3. Connect your phone via usb and the first box at the top under ID:COM should turn blue and have some text in it. If you are using Download Mode on your phone for the first time then you will notice drivers being installed to use it.
4. The site or page you downloaded the file from will usually give you instructions how to set Odin but if not you want to load boot/recovery/system files to the PDA location and have ‘Auto Reboot’ and ‘F.Reset Time’ ticked and nothing else.
5. Click on ‘Start’ to start the flash. You can see what is happening in the text box in the lower left.